Vietnamese Boat People Museum Project:
- Launched by the Vietnamese Canadian Federation in 2005.
- Received wide support of the Vietnamese community in Canada.
- Political support received from: Marion Dewar, late Mayor of Ottawa; former Ottawa Mayor Bob Chiarelli, Diane Holmes, Ottawa City Councillor for Somerset Ward; Yasir Naqvi, MPP for Ottawa Centre; Mac Harb, Senator, Ottawa; Paul Dewar, MP for Ottawa Centre; Premiers: Rodney MacDonald, Nova Scotia; Pat Binns, Prince Edward Island; Shaun Graham, New Brunswick; Jean Charest, Québec; Dalton McGuinty, Ontario; Gary Doer, Manitoba; Lorne Calvert, Saskatchewan; Ralph Klein, Alberta; Gordon Campbell, British Columbia; Dennis Fentie, Yukon; Joseph Handley, Northwest Territories; Tom Hedderson, Minister of Tourism, Culture, and Recreation of Newfoundland and Labrador; Jason Kenney, Minister of Citizenship, Immigration, and Multiculturalism of Canada; Bob Rae, Interim Leader of the Liberal Party
of Canada; Thomas Mulcair, Leader of the Opposition (NDP); Thanh Hai Ngo, Senator, Ottawa; Jim Watson, Mayor of Ottawa.
- Total area: 15,000 sq ft.
- Estimated cost: $4,300,000 including $600,000 for the land, $3,500,000 for the building, and $200,000 for the interior and the exhibits.
- Has raised or obtained firm commitment for about $1,000,000 (including the proceeds from the sale of the property at 249 Rochester St., Ottawa). Needs to raise an additional $3,500,000.
- April 30, 2009: received the site at 105 Preston St., Ottawa (opposite corner from the Vietnamese Commemorative Monument).
- Previous fund-raising events: Ottawa (2007, 2009, 2010), Tucson, AZ (2007), San Jose, CA (2007), Winnipeg (2007).
- Fundraisers in 2011: Saskatoon (Jun. 11), Calgary (July 23), Halifax (Nov. 11), Edmonton (Nov. 26), Ottawa (Dec. 10); 2012: Sherbrooke (Mar. 11, Jun. 2); Montréal (Apr. 7), Calgary (Aug. 11), Vancouver (Oct. 6), Ottawa (Nov. 10), San Diego, CA (Nov. 16), Washington, DC (Dec. 2), Kitchener, ON (Dec. 8).
- 2013-2014: Continues to raise fund in Canada, the U.S., and other countries.